Newsletter for WEDNESDAY, JULY 19th, 2017
Compiled by Bud Shuback, President GCC
GUEST SPEAKER: One of the busiest people in the Massachusetts state legislature is Representative Joseph Wagner. Although we have been trying to have him as our guest speaker at other meetings this year, the needs of the state have necessarily taken priority. On July 19th, we are again hopeful that he can be with us and he is making every effort to do so.
Mr. Wagner has served in the Massachusetts Legislature since 1991 representing the City of Chicopee from the 8th Hampden district. Representative Wagner is currently the chairperson of the joint committee on economic development and emerging technologies. He is a graduate of Cathedral high school, Western New England University, and the University of Massachusetts.
Mr. Wagner has been a good friend of the GCC. He has lead the effort to secure grants by approval of the Massachusetts legislature for the Great New England Air Show, only to have them rejected for the respective air shows by Governors Patrick and Baker because of state budgetary issues. He has always done what he could to help the GCC and we look forward to working with him in the future.
WESTOVER’S C-5M ARRIVALS: The following was contributed by MSgt ANDREW BISCOE,
Acting Chief, 439th AW Public Affairs, Westover Air Reserve Base.
As our conversion to the C-5M Super Galaxy gets some steam with two modernized airplanes already delivered to Westover, this update covers our eventual farewell to the last of the legacy model C-5As — two of which remain here.
— C-5A 70-0461 is scheduled to depart Westover on Wed 26 July for its final flight to the USAF Museum at Wright-Patt. This airplane includes Westover’s tail flash, but is not an original legacy model from the fleet that first arrived here in 1987. This aircraft was assigned to the 433rd Airlift Wing at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland before its recent transfer to Westover. One of our public affairs Airmen will fly on this historic journey to the museum. SrA Monica Ricci will interview some of the crew and some museum staff, and will get still and video footage.
— C-5A 70-0451 has a scheduled departure of Thurs 31 Aug for its last flight to the museum at Travis AFB, Calif. This is the very last A-model left in the Air Force inventory. It too was assigned to the 433rd AW until its transfer to Westover.
— C-5M 68-0213, an A converted to a C-model at Travis and then into a Super Galaxy, is here for periodic maintenance at Westover.
— A date for the naming ceremony for our C-5M has not been determined yet. We’re still awaiting approval from the Air Force. This conversion and retirement of the legacy models are among the most significant operational changes at Westover in its 77-year history. Please let me know if you have any questions.
MEMBER OF THE MONTH COORDINATOR NEEDED: We are looking for a volunteer to assume the nomination responsibility. This is a job that will involve determining who should be recognized and informing the nominee that they have been selected. The next step is to notify GCC Board members Dale Johnston and Chip Harrington of the selections and give them the contact information of the nominee. That’s the extent of the job. Dale will photograph the nominee and Chip will write the biographical article. Please contact Bud Shuback if you are willing to do this important job.
WESTFIELD AIR SHOW August 12th & 13th: If you would like to participate and help the GCC earn money for the Great New England Air Show at the Barnes ANG air show by volunteering, send an email or call John Beaulieu at JohnBeaulieu20@gmail.com or call 413-348-4414 or Connie Brown at ConnieMichele16@gmail.com or 413-584-4800. Please give us your name, number and availability for the show weekend. We will coordinate by calls and emails since there is no meeting in between.
2018 GREAT NEW ENGLAND AIR SHOW UPDATE: Our 2015 sponsorship agent, ADC (Phil Pacific) out of McKinney, Texas is now on board. The sponsorship contract for the 2018 Great New England Air Show has been signed and he is now at work recruiting sponsors for next year’s show. Major work for the July 14 & 15, 2018 Great New England Air Show will be moving forward immediately following the Westfield International Air Show. Log Rolling Catering has again been selected to be the caterer for our chalet sponsors and our premium seating area which will now be known as “Patriot Wing Seating”. Tickets for this area will be available on-line in September.
The Great New England Air Show is a major responsibility of the Galaxy Community Council. Your commitment to the GCC and the Air Show is essential. Its success benefits Westover and our communities. Our top priority therefore, is involving all GCC members. Your help and input is essential to our mission. Discuss your commitment to working at the air show with a member of the steering committee.
GCC AIR SHOW FUNDRAISER RAFFLE: Thanks to Bill Hick and Rich Marion, our annual 50/50 style fundraiser is once again in progress. Bill and Rich will be reaching out to GCC membership in the coming months and tickets will be sold at our various events throughout the year. Contact Bill Hick, firstname.lastname@example.org or Rich Marion, email@example.com for more information.
GCC CONTRIBUTES TO WESTOVER ENTITIES AND ACTIVITIES Thanks to all GCC members who are working to fulfill our mission of supporting the men and women at Westover.
Our 2017 contributions include:
- USO $2,400 Including a Monday night dinner
- Young Marines 500
- Civil Air Patrol 500
- Youth Outreach Day 200
- Airmen & Family Readiness 950 Including the WARB Children’s Christmas party
- Westover Club event (14 Oct) 2,250 Budgeted for Family Day alternative event
- Valley Blue Sox Military appreciation game: Sunday, 23 July at 5 PM at Mackenzie Stadium in Holyoke. Free tickets are available at our July 19th
- Westfield International Air Show August 12-13th.
- Westover Capstone inspection 21-26 Sept.
- December 13th: GCC Christmas dinner meeting at the Knights of Columbus, 460 Granby Rd, Chicopee
Special event for reservists instead of Westover Family Day this year: Because of a major inspection at Westover later this year, Westover’s leadership is focusing their attention on its successful outcome. Therefore, Family Day will not take place in 2017. Although October 14 has been proposed, the GCC the Westover Club are now discussing alternatives for an event to treat our reservists with this Fall. This event will be similar to Family Day but on a smaller scale. The GCC will be providing financial support, and volunteers will be needed. Contact Kathy Wood to sign up to help.
DINNER AT MONTHLY MEETINGS
- Meetings of the GCC membership will be held on the third Wednesday of the month. Advance notice of changes will be posted at www.galaxycouncil.com.
- NEW: Sign-in cut-off for dinner at GCC meetings has been changed to 6:00 PM. Sign-in for the Galaxy meeting dinners is from 5:00 to 6:00 PM. Meal tickets will not be available before and after these times.
- Please remember that our GCC members who handle dinner check-in are volunteering their time to do this important job. Please be patient with them during check-in.
- Be sure to have your Westover ID card with you when you check in and on you at all times while on Westover ARB.
- When paying for dinner, please have currency denominations of $20 bills or smaller. PLEASE DO NOT pay with $100 or $50 bills.
- Thank you for your cooperation.
GCC FUNDRAISER THROUGH AMAZON.com
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to provide financial support to the GCC’s portion of the GNEAS. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the same low prices, selection and shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the Galaxy Community Council’s Great New England Air Show effort. This is an easy way for Amazon shoppers to provide financial support to the GCC’s air show efforts without making a monetary contribution. To shop at AmazonSmile simply go to smile.amazon.com from the web browser on your computer or mobile device. You use your same account on Amazon.
Please circulate the above among your friends, relatives etc. your support will help the Galaxy Community Council ensure a successful 2018 Great New England Air Show
NEW MEMBER APPLICATION PROCEDURE: As always, we encourage members to find interested individuals to join our organization. If you would like to invite someone to join us at one of our meetings to see what we do, contact Bud Shuback to arrange base access.
Because we meet on a Federal Military installation, our security procedures require that the following steps be taken to become a member of the GCC:
- The applicant must be sponsored by a current GCC member who knows them.
- Fill out a membership application and submit it along with an annual dues check for $75. If the applicant is a spouse of a current GCC member, submit the application with an annual dues check of $25.00.
- After submitting the application to GCC Membership Director, Gail Sherman, it will be reviewed at the next GCC Board of Directors meeting and the Board will vote on acceptance.
- On acceptance by the Board, the applicant must fill out a Westover Background check form (SF-1) that is submitted to Base Security. To expedite the membership application process, this form may be submitted with the membership application.
- After the background check is completed, the applicant will be notified that he or she has been accepted as a GCC member. They can then to go to Westover Pass & ID to obtain a Westover ID card. The applicant will also be invited to the next general membership meeting where he or she will be presented with a New Member Package.
- For more information, contact Gail Sherman firstname.lastname@example.org 413-364-0074.or Ron Proulx Ron@davestruckrepairinc.com .
- August: No full-membership meeting at the Westover Club.
- September 20th.
GCC WEB SITE
If you have questions regarding meeting dates, upcoming events, our newsletter or other information, please go to www.galaxycouncil.com. It is updated regularly and contains a lot of information. CHECK IT OUT!
Important information for Galaxy Council Members while at Westover
- Westover Base Security may make occasional random checks of vehicles that enter WARB.
- Driving on Westover (driving privileges can be suspended for non-compliance):
- Always use seat belts.
- No cell phone use while driving
- Max speed limit on base is 30 MPH.
- When leaving via the Westover Road gate, the speed limit is 15 MPH until Westover Road.
- Galaxy Community Council members can use the following on-base facilities: Westover Club, Subway, Rental Center and Bowling Alley
GCC Charter: To read the GCC charter and operating policies, please go to www.galaxycouncil.com
PIONEER VALLEY USO wants your help ( www.pioneervalleyuso.org ) The GCC helps the USO to support the military men and women stationed at Westover. If you would like to help with any of their events, contact Al Tracy at 413-557-3290.
They also accept contributions of non-perishable foods, furniture, household goods, books, magazines, DVDs, baby supplies and more.
Westover’s Mission Statement: “Provide global-reach capabilities with mission-ready Citizen Airmen”