Newsletter for WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21st, 2017
Compiled by Bud Shuback, President GCC
GUEST SPEAKER: For our June 21st guest speaker, we are honored to have State Representative Joseph Wagner who has served in the Massachusetts Legislature since 1991 representing the City of Chicopee from the 8th Hampden district. Representative Wagner is currently the chairperson of the joint committee on economic development and emerging technologies. He is a graduate of Cathedral high school, Western New England University, and the University of Massachusetts.
State Representative Wagner has been a member of House leadership since 2001. During that time, he has chaired the legislature’s Transportation Committee, the Committee on Election Laws, and now the Joint Committee on Economic Development and Emerging Technologies. Among his many legislative accomplishments are authoring three omnibus job creation bills, passing the 2011 Expanded Gaming Act, incorporating a ban on texting while driving into the 2010 safe driving bill, and authoring legislation establishing MassDOT which created efficiencies by streamlining and unifying transportation agencies. He has also helped secure substantial state investment in the City of Chicopee, including state support for road and bridge improvements, a new public library, and two new high schools. Most recently, he was appointed as co-chair of the Special Commission on Online Gaming, Fantasy Sports Gaming and Daily Fantasy Sports to examine daily fantasy sports and the emerging online gaming industry.
Mr. Wagner has been a good friend of the GCC. He has lead the effort to secure grants by approval of the Massachusetts legislature for the Great New England Air Show, only to have them rejected for the respective air shows by Governors Patrick and Baker. He has always done what he could to help the GCC and we look forward to working with him in the future.
WARB CHANGE OF COMMAND: On Sunday, June 4th, Col. D. Scott Durham, who’s previous assignment was commander of the 512 AW at Dover AFB, assumed command of 439th Airlift Wing from Brigadier General Jay Jensen who left Westover to become the director of Air Force Reserve Programs at the Pentagon. We look forward to working with Col. Durham who will be invited to address our membership after he settles into his new position.
WESTOVER’S FIRST C-5M ARRIVES: The first C-5M to be permanently assigned to Westover ARB arrived on June 2nd. The newly remodeled “Super Galaxy” with the Patriot Wing logo on its tail, was piloted by Operations Group Commander Col. Les Bradfield. This aircraft will soon be named “Spirit of Chicopee”. In the coming months, seven more C-5Ms will arrive for permanent assignment to WARB.
MEMBER OF THE MONTH COORDINATOR NEEDED: Although we have GCC members who have not been, and should be Member of the Month, we will suspend recognition until September. We are looking for a volunteer to assume the nomination responsibility. This is a job that will involve determining who should be recognized and informing the nominee that they have been selected. The next step is to notify GCC Board members Dale Johnston and Chip Harrington of the selections and give them the contact information of the nominee. Dale will photograph the nominee and Chip will write the biographical article. Please contact Bud Shuback if you are willing to do this important job.
2018 AIR SHOW UPDATE: Our 2015 sponsorship agent, ADC (Phil Pacific) out of McKinney, Texas is now on board. The sponsorship contract for the 2018 Great New England Air Show has been signed and he is now at work recruiting sponsors for next year’s show. Planning for the July 14 & 15, 2018 Great New England Air Show will be moving forward. The GCC steering committee continues to expand the organization chart and securing the services of our major vendors. Our major priority is involving all GCC volunteers; your help and input is needed. Monthly reports will be made by steering committee chairman Al Chwalek and more members will be involved in the planning process. Contact Bud Shuback, Al Chwalek, Dave Carbin or Connie Foster for information about how you want to participate.
GCC AIR SHOW FUNDRAISER RAFFLE: Thanks to Bill Hick and Rich Marion, our annual 50/50 style fundraiser is once again in progress. Bill and Rich will be reaching out to GCC membership in the coming months and tickets will be sold at our various events throughout the year. Contact Bill Hick, email@example.com or Rich Marion, firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
GCC CONTRIBUTES TO WESTOVER ENTITIES AND ACTIVITIES Thanks to all GCC members who are working to fulfill our mission of supporting the men and women at Westover.
Our 2017 contributions include:
- USO $2,400 Including a Monday night dinner
- Young Marines $500
- Civil Air Patrol $500
- Youth Outreach Day $200
- Airmen & Family Readiness $950 Including the WARB Children’s Christmas party
- Westover Club event (14 Oct) $2,250 Budgeted for Family Day alternative event
- Valley Blue Sox Military appreciation games: 25 June and 23 July, Sundays at 5 PM at Mackenzie Stadium in Holyoke. Free tickets are available at our June 21st
- USO Mohegan Sun bus trip on Friday, June 30th. Contact Darlene at 413-262-5996 or email@example.com to sign up.
- Westfield International Air Show August 12-13th.
- GCC military appreciation event at the Westover Club on October 14th.
- December 13th: GCC Christmas dinner meeting at the Knights of Columbus, 460 Granby Rd, Chicopee
MEMORIAL DAY PARADE: Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate for the parade on May 29th. Thanks to the GCC members who attended the indoor .memorial ceremony at American Legion Post 452 in Chicopee
No Westover Family Day this year: Because of a major inspection at Westover later this year, Westover’s leadership is focusing their attention on its successful outcome. Instead, the GCC will be working with the Westover Club to treat our reservists with a special event on October 14. Similar to Family Day, but on a much smaller scale, the GCC will be providing financial support, and volunteers will be needed. Contact Kathy Wood to sign up to help.
DINNER AT MONTHLY MEETINGS
- Meetings of the GCC membership will be held on the third Wednesday of the month. Advance notice of changes will be posted at www.galaxycouncil.com.
- Sign-in for the Galaxy meeting dinners is from 5:00 to 6:00 PM. Meal tickets will not be available before and after these times.
- IMPORTANT! Please remember that our GCC members who handle dinner check-in are volunteering their time to do this important job. Please be patient with them during check-in.
- Be sure to have your Westover ID card with you when you check in and on you at all times while on Westover ARB.
- When paying for dinner, please have currency denominations of $20 bills or smaller. PLEASE DO NOT pay with $100 or $50 bills.
- Thank you for your cooperation.
GCC FUNDRAISER THROUGH AMAZON.com
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to provide financial support to the GCC’s portion of the GNEAS. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the same low prices, selection and shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the Galaxy Community Council’s Great New England Air Show effort. This is an easy way for Amazon shoppers to provide financial support to the GCC’s air show efforts without making a monetary contribution. To shop at AmazonSmile simply go to smile.amazon.com from the web browser on your computer or mobile device. You may also want to add a bookmark to smile.amazon.com to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile. You use your same account on Amazon.
Please circulate the above among your friends, relatives etc. your support will help the Galaxy Community Council ensure a successful 2018 Great New England Air Show
NEW MEMBER APPLICATION PROCEDURE
As always, we encourage members to find interested individuals to join our organization. If you would like to invite someone to join us at one of our meetings to see what we do, contact Bud Shuback to arrange base access.
Because we meet on a Federal Military installation, our security procedures require that the following steps be taken to become a member of the GCC:
- The applicant must be sponsored by a current GCC member who knows them.
- Fill out a membership application and submit it along with an annual dues check for $75. If the applicant is a spouse of a current GCC member, submit the application with an annual dues check of $25.00.
- After submitting the application to GCC Membership Director, Gail Sherman, it will be reviewed at the next GCC Board of Directors meeting and the Board will vote on acceptance.
- On acceptance by the Board, the applicant must fill out a Westover Background check form (SF-1) that is submitted to Base Security. To expedite the membership application process, this form may be submitted with the membership application.
- After the background check is completed, the applicant will be notified that he or she has been accepted as a GCC member. They can then to go to Westover Pass & ID to obtain a Westover ID card. The applicant will also be invited to the next general membership meeting where he or she will be presented with a New Member Package.
- For more information, contact Gail Sherman firstname.lastname@example.org 413-364-0074.or Ron Proulx Ron@davestruckrepairinc.com .
- June 21st in the Westover Club bar and patio area for a “burger burn” with all of the trimmings.
- July 19th in the Westover Club Dining Room
GCC MERCHANDISE: New merchandise is available at our meetings. Items not available can also be purchased. Please go to www.galaxycouncil.com or see Rick Hirt, email@example.com, for more information about or to purchase GCC merchandise.
GCC WEB SITE
If you have questions regarding meeting dates, upcoming events, our newsletter or other information, please go to www.galaxycouncil.com. It is updated regularly and contains a lot of information. CHECK IT OUT!
Important information for Galaxy Council Members while at Westover
- Westover Base Security may make occasional random checks of vehicles that enter WARB.
- Driving on Westover (driving privileges can be suspended for non-compliance):
- Always use seat belts.
- No cell phone use while driving
- Max speed limit on base is 30 MPH.
- When leaving via the Westover Road gate, the speed limit is 15 MPH until Westover Road.
- Galaxy Community Council members can use the following on-base facilities: Westover Club, Subway, Rental Center and Bowling Alley
GCC Charter: To read the GCC charter and operating policies, please go to www.galaxycouncil.com
PIONEER VALLEY USO wants your help ( www.pioneervalleyuso.org ) The GCC helps the USO to support the military men and women stationed at Westover. If you would like to help with any of their events, contact Al Tracy at 413-557-3290.
They also accept contributions of non-perishable foods, furniture, household goods, books, magazines, DVDs, baby supplies and more.
“You don’t need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.”