Galaxy Community Council Newsletter
Next Meeting WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15th, 2017
MEMBER OF THE MONTH: Our March Member of the Month is Frank Laflamme. Frank was born and raised in Chicopee and is one of 13 children. His father, after 50 years of city service retired as Chicopee City Treasurer. Frank grew up watching his parents volunteer and get involved in many church and community events. Westover as one of them, as Frank’s mom was involved with fundraising in 1991 for SOS (Support Our Service people). This inspired Frank to want to continue to give back to the people and community, and so he, along with his wife Sue, became involved in many organizations and at present the Galaxy Community Council.
Frank lives in Chicopee with his wife of 35 years, Sue. He has been a small business owner for the past 35 years and works at MassMutual as a Facilities Foreman. He is a member of St. Rose de Lima Church. He has a son Eric who is a Chicopee Police Officer, and daughter Ashley who is currently a 1st grade teacher in Chicopee and married to David Mahan. They have a 7 month old son Grayson, Frank’s 1st grandchild.
Some of Frank’s involvements include Chairman of Cub Scout Pack 424 for 10 years. He received the Scouting Akela Award for outstanding volunteer. He has also volunteered at Bingo for Nativity Church, St. Patrick’s Church and St. Stanislaus Church. You can always see Frank helping out at all the Church picnics and suppers. He is also a volunteer and member of the Knights of Columbus #4044, Hampden County Deputy Sheriff, Home Builders Association and was involved with the Chicopee Lodge of Elks. He is a volunteer and board member of Chicopee National Night Out, past board member of the Chicopee VNA and Chicopee Boys and Girls Club. He was a member of the Chicopee Special Police for over 20 years. In addition, Frank participates in many city activities such as the Block party, Employee Appreciation Day, Halloween and Christmas Festivities. You can always see him cooking on his grill!
Frank has been a Chicopee City Councilor at Large for the past 8 years and serves on 9 subcommittees.
Frank is seen as someone who gets things done. Volunteering, fundraising, or just helping someone with a problem, Frank is there. We are honored to have him as a member of the GCC
GUEST SPEAKER: For our March 15th guest speaker, we are honored to have State Representative Joseph Wagner who has served in the Massachusetts Legislature since 1991 representing the City of Chicopee from the 8th Hampden district. Representative Wagner is currently the chairperson of the joint committee on economic development and emerging technologies. He is a graduate of Cathedral high school, Western New England University, and the University of Massachusetts.
State Representative Wagner has been a member of House leadership since 2001. During that time, he has chaired the legislature’s Transportation Committee, the Committee on Election Laws, and now the Joint Committee on Economic Development and Emerging Technologies. Among his many legislative accomplishments are authoring three omnibus job creation bills, passing the 2011 Expanded Gaming Act, incorporating a ban on texting while driving into the 2010 safe driving bill, and authoring legislation establishing MassDOT which created efficiencies by streamlining and unifying transportation agencies. He has also helped secure substantial state investment in the City of Chicopee, including state support for road and bridge improvements, a new public library, and two new high schools. Most recently, he was appointed as co-chair of the Special Commission on Online Gaming, Fantasy Sports Gaming and Daily Fantasy Sports to examine daily fantasy sports and the emerging online gaming industry.
Mr. Wagner has been a good friend of the GCC. He has lead the effort to secure grants by approval of the Massachusetts legislature for the Great New England Air Show, only to have them rejected for the respective air shows by Governors Patrick and Baker. He has always done what he could to help the GCC and we look forward to working with him in the future.
ELECTION of OFFICERS: At our January 18th meeting, the membership of the GCC elected the following slate of officers for a two year term of office, ending on December 31st, 2018: President – Bud Shuback, Vice President – Connie Foster, Secretary – Marie Laflamme, Treasurer – Jack Burns.
2018 AIR SHOW
It was announced at December’s convention of the International Council of Air Shows in Las Vegas that the Air Force Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team will be at the next edition of the Great New England Air Show on July 14 & 15, 2018. The GCC steering committee is now working on an organization chart for the air show. Please see Connie Foster, Al Chwalek, Bob Houldson or Bud Shuback for information about how you can help make it a success.
GCC AIR SHOW FUNDRAISER RAFFLE: Thanks to Bill Hick and Rich Marion, we will again have our annual 50/50 style fundraiser. Rich Marion will again be working with Bill to make the raffle a success. Tickets will be sold at our various events throughout the year, beginning on Wednesday, March 22nd, 4:30-6:30 PM at the combined Chicopee Chamber & Springfield Chamber event with the Springfield Thunderbirds at the MassMutual Center.
On March 23rd-26th, tickets will be sold at our booth at the Western Mass Home Show.
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED AT THIS EVENT. The leadership of the Home Show, has graciously provided a booth for the GCC at no charge. This is a GREAT opportunity for us!
We would like to assign volunteer hours so that we have three people in the booth at all times. But first, we need to know what hours you can work. The shifts will be as follows:
Thursday, March 23 1:00 – 5:00 and 4:00 – 8:00
Friday, March 24 1:00 – 5:00 and4:00 – 8:00
Saturday, March 25 10:00 – 2:00, 1:00 – 5:00 and 4:00 – 8:00
Sunday, March 16 10:00 – 2:00 and 1:00 – 5:00
Please respond with your availability as soon as possible and we will compile a work schedule that will be returned to you. Thank you.
- Wednesday, March 22nd – Business After Hours at the Springfield Thunderbirds headquarters at the MassMutual Center, 1277 Main Street, Springfield collaboration with the Springfield Regional Chamber 4:30 – 6:30pm Sponsored by Galaxy Community Council and Sullivan, Hayes & Quinn, LLC. $10 Members $15 Non-Members http://www.chicopeechamber.org/events/details/business-after-hours-thunderbirds-290
- March 23rd-26th, tickets will be sold at our booth at the Western Mass Home Show in West Springfield.
- Westover Youth Outreach Day on Wednesday, April 26th. The GCC will contribute $500 to this event where Air Force ROTC students from local high schools learn about the Air Force.
- Chicopee Memorial Day Parade on Monday, May 29th. Membership participation is encouraged.
- USO Annual Military Gala dinner: May 6th at the Log Cabin
- Westfield International Air Show August 12-13th
- Westover Family Day will not take place in 2017.
GCC FUNDRAISER THROUGH AMAZON.com
Thanks to Connie Brown for setting up the GCC Amazon Smile account, enabling a percentage of your purchases to be refunded to the GCC. Ask your family and friends to take part in this program that benefits the GCC at no cost to you or them. As more sign up, our returns will be greater.
As you know the Galaxy Community Council (GCC) will play a major role in the 2018 Great New England Air Show (GNEAS) to be held on July 14 – 15, 2018. All civilian performers at the show are paid for through the Galaxy Council’s sponsorship and fund raising events. The Air Show in 2015 is considered to be the best air show ever held at Westover. The GCC had to raise over $340,000. Here is an easy way for Amazon shoppers to provide financial support to the GCC’s air show efforts without making a monetary contribution.
AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to provide financial support to the GCC’s portion of the GNEAS. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to the Galaxy Community Council’s Great New England Air Show effort.
— HOW DO I SHOP AT AMAZONSMILE?
To shop at AmazonSmile simply go to smile.amazon.com from the web browser on your computer or mobile device. You may also want to add a bookmark to smile.amazon.com to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile.
— Can I use my existing Amazon.com account on AmazonSmile? Yes, you use the same account on Amazon.
— How much of my purchase does Amazon donate? The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases. The purchase price is the amount paid for the item minus any rebates and excluding shipping & handling, gift-wrapping fees, taxes, or service charges. From time to time, they may offer special, limited time promotions that increase the donation amount on one or more products or services or provide for additional donations to charitable organizations. Special terms and restrictions may apply.
Please circulate the above among your friends, relatives etc. your support will help the Galaxy Community Council ensure a successful 2018 Great New England Air Show
INTERESTING FACTS from the American Legion Magazine:
Women on Active Duty
- 201,400 Women on active duty in the U S Armed Forces
- 68,900 Women on active duty in the Army
- 58,500 Women on active duty in the Air Force
- 57,300 Women on active duty in the Navy
- 14,100 Women on active duty in the Marine Corps
- 90 Percent of military occupations open to women
NEW MEMBER APPLICATION PROCEDURE
As always, we encourage members to find interested individuals to join our organization. If you would like to invite someone to join us at one of our meetings to see what we do, contact Bud Shuback to arrange base access.
Because we meet on a Federal Military installation, our security procedures require that the following steps be taken to become a member of the GCC:
- The applicant must be sponsored by a current GCC member who knows them.
- Fill out a membership application and submit it along with an annual dues check for $75. If the applicant is a spouse of a current GCC member, submit the application with an annual dues check of $25.00.
- After submitting the application to GCC Membership Director, Gail Sherman, it will be reviewed at the next GCC Board of Directors meeting and the Board will vote on acceptance.
- On acceptance by the Board, the applicant must fill out a Westover Background check form (SF-1) that is submitted to Base Security. To expedite the membership application process, this form may be submitted with the membership application.
- After the background check is completed, the applicant will be notified that he or she has been accepted as a GCC member. They can then to go to Westover Pass & ID to obtain a Westover ID card. The applicant will also be invited to the next general membership meeting where he or she will be presented with a New Member Package.
- For more information, contact Gail Sherman email@example.com 413-364-0074.or Ron Proulx Ron@davestruckrepairinc.com .
GCC MONTHLY MEETINGS
- Sign-in for the Galaxy meeting dinners is from 5:00 to 6:15 PM. Meal tickets will not be available before and after these times.
- Meetings of the GCC membership will be held on the third Wednesday of the month. Advance notice of changes will be posted at www.galaxycouncil.com.
- Unless otherwise notified, all Board of Directors meetings will be held in the Wing HQ conference room beginning at 1600hrs sharp on the same date.
- General Membership meetings are at the Westover Club. Dinner is available between 5:15 and 6:15 PM. The business meeting begins at 6:30 PM sharp.
- March 15th
- April 19th
- SNOW CANCELLATIONS: Go to ABC 40 or FOX 6 / Westover’s closure number 413 557 3444.
GCC MERCHANDISE: New merchandise is available at our meetings. Items not available can also be purchased. Please go to www.galaxycouncil.com or see Rick Hirt, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information about or to purchase GCC merchandise.
GCC WEB SITE
If you have questions regarding meeting dates, upcoming events, our newsletter or other information, please go to www.galaxycouncil.com. It is updated regularly and contains a lot of information. CHECK IT OUT!
Important information for Galaxy Council Members while at Westover
- Westover Base Security may make occasional random checks of vehicles that enter WARB.
- Driving on Westover (driving privileges can be suspended for non-compliance):
- Always use seat belts.
- No cell phone use while driving
- Max speed limit on base is 30 MPH.
- When leaving via the Westover Road gate, the speed limit is 15 MPH until you reach Westover Road.
- Galaxy Community Council members can use the following on-base facilities: Westover Club, Subway, Rental Center and Bowling Alley
GCC Charter: To read the GCC charter and operating policies, please go to www.galaxycouncil.com
PIONEER VALLEY USO ( www.pioneervalleyuso.org ) The GCC helps the USO to support the military men and women stationed at Westover. If you would like to help with any of their events, contact Al Tracy at 413-557-3290. They also accept contributions of non-perishable foods, furniture, household goods, books, magazines, DVDs, baby supplies and more.