2017 Galaxy Community Council President’s Annual Report
As we begin 2017, the Galaxy Community Council is in great shape!
2016 has been another productive year for the Galaxy Community Council. We have welcomed many new members. While total membership is down because of the change in rules regarding the Base Fitness Center, meeting attendance remains consistently strong. In fact, I don’t know of any other volunteer organization that has a higher percentage of membership meeting attendance. We have enjoyed outstanding guest speakers at our meetings at the Westover Club. Our financial status, under the direction of Treasurer Jack Burns and his advisor Bill Hick, will continue to be comfortably strong.
Westover’s leaders have made it clear that the GCC is an integral part of the Westover Family. We enjoy a great relationship with 439th Airlift Wing Commander Brigadier General Jay Jensen and his staff. We congratulate General Jensen for his recent promotion to Brigadier General. For 2017, we will work with him and 439th AW group commanders, Mission Support Group Commander Col Karen “Jack” Magnus, Operations Group Commander Col Les Bradfield and Maintenance Group Commander Lt Col Dan Moore. Congratulations to Lt Col Moore on his nomination to Colonel.
2016 accomplishments include:
- We continued our participation with and/or made financial contributions to Westover tenants including the Pioneer Valley USO, the Airman & Family Readiness Center, Marine MASS-6, the Civil Air Patrol, the Young Marines, Youth Outreach Day and 439th AW Protocol.
- We continued relationships between the GCC and the local community primarily through the Chicopee and South Hadley Chambers of Commerce. We also communicated with our elected officials to inform them about GCC activities and learn about their efforts on behalf of Westover.
- Events in which GCC members participated include the USO’s spring gala, the Chicopee Memorial Day parade, Chicopee’s Halloween event and the USO Veterans Day breakfast.
- Our largest event of the year was Family Day on Saturday August 6th. About 100 GCC volunteers stepped up to bat for the 439th Airlift Wing reservists and their dependents. In addition to our financial contribution, we took over the jobs necessary to enable over 3,000 reservists and family members to spend a relaxing and enjoyable day together.
- In addition to working with Air Force units, we have developed a great relationship with the Marine units at Westover. In September we helped them with the GySgt Sullivan 5K Run in Springfield, and in December, GCC volunteers helped with their Toys for Tots program.
2017 activities will include:
- Westover’s Family Day will again take place in late summer of 2017.
- In 2015, we had, what was arguably the best air show that has ever taken place at Westover. We will work throughout 2017 to organize fulfillment of our responsibilities to make the 2018 edition of the Great New England Air Show even better.
- We will have a fundraiser to contribute to the 2018 Great New England Air Show.
- Continuance of our successful speakers’ program at our monthly Meetings.
- Maintenance Group Commander Moore has offered an inspection tour of a C-5M when one is available and GCC point of contact Adam Howe will arrange for use of the C-5M simulator when it is available.
- Participation in the Chicopee Memorial Day Parade and Veterans’ Day activities.
- We will again contribute to the Westover USO, the Airman & Family Readiness Center, the Civil Air Patrol, the Westover Young Marines, Youth Outreach Day and to other Westover military tenants where there is a need.
- We will consider a bus trip if enough GCC members are interested.
- We will participate and do what we can to provide input to any Massachusetts or Air Force program that will advocate for, and expand the use of Westover Air Reserve Base.
We continue to need your help to support our military men and women and to help remind all concerned of the importance of Westover. In addition to supporting the men and women at Westover, our mission is to promote interaction between Westover ARB and its surrounding communities as well as increase public awareness about what Westover means to us individually and collectively.
The members of the GCC are key to our success. None of our activities throughout the year would take place without a lot of work by GCC members who participate. If anyone has any suggestions or wants to become a more active participant to better fulfill our mission, I encourage you to get involved. An outline and survey of annual GCC activities are available at www.galaxycouncil.com. If you have any comments or are able to become more involved in GCC activities, please complete this survey or communicate directly with GCC leadership.
I’m proud to be associated with the Galaxy Community Council and its members and I applaud all of you who go beyond giving “lip-service” to supporting our men and women in the military. Your participation is proof that you truly care. The GCC will continue to be an important part of the Westover Family and with your help, 2017 will be another successful year for the GCC and Westover ARB.
Bud Shuback, President
The mission of the Galaxy Community Council is to:
Support the military men, women and mission of Westover ARB.
Increase public awareness about what Westover means to local communities.
Promote interaction between Westover ARB and its surrounding communities.
Co-produce the Great New England Air Show.
Galaxy Council Board Member Ed Spellacy continues his short stories (Pan Amusings) from his days as a PanAm 747 Captain. Check out these very interesting stories from a fellow member.
Subject: 2017 GCC meeting & events schedule
Meetings of the GCC membership will be held on the third Wednesday of the month. Advance notice of changes will be posted.
Meeting cancellations due to weather will be posted on WGGB 40 & Fox 6.
Unless otherwise notified, all Board of Directors meetings will be held in the Wing HQ conference room beginning at 1600hrs sharp on the same date.
Full Membership meetings are at the Westover Club. Dinner is available between 5:30 and 6:15 PM. The business meeting begins at 6:30 PM sharp.
2017 Meeting Schedule
13 December – Christmas dinner meeting
29 May Chicopee Memorial Day Parade
05 August Westover Family Day (TENTATIVE)
11 November Veterans Day Activities
Other activities including GCC fundraisers will be announced.
Reminder: Seat belt usage is mandatory on Westover ARB. Violators will lose base access privileges for 30 days.
“CITIZENS SERVING THE PATRIOT WING”
The Galaxy Community Council is a 501c3 charitable corporation.
It is not part of the Department of Defense or any of its components and has no governmental status.